Monday, November 30, 2009

17 hour marathon writing binge last night and into today. Slept about 5 hours and here I am again. I'v noticed that sometimes I just don't want to start writing. I realize it will be hard to put the book down once I start. One fix seems to be to decide what part of the creative process to push myself into. I don't always want to sit here and create detailed storyline and dialogue. That can seem like too much work sometimes. There is always research to do more of, organizing saved files of information, and facts to expand a little or a lot depending on how I feel. Once I get started, however, the choices seem to filter themselves in or out of my efforts at the keyboard. I may decide that I am not in the mood to expand a particular idea with dialogue and detail, so I block it out with an outline of ideas for future expansion when I am in the mood. That done, I open up a file of information or a research book and transfer snippets of facts to my novel's timeline, placing my characters into the setting. Now, I might be just putting the facts in and intending to move along to the next piece of data, but something grabs me about this data and creative juices begin to flow. Suddenly, I am totally engrossed in the story. Expanding ideas, creating dialogue, inventing twists and turns that seem so plausible when compared to the actual historical events that of course they happened just the way I am writing them. I have, at times, found myself saying things like, "The activities of the Grafton Freight Company saved the town of Grafton from oblivion in 1864." Which is an element of fiction I added that has turned out to be a mainstay of the novel. It has become so real to me, and fits into the actual history so well, that I have to be careful lest I get lost in the fiction as truth, instead of remembering the fiction is a very well written, dare I say inspired, nay brilliantly crafted, plausible fictional account of what really happened.

I assume other novelists go through these same configurations in their creative efforts, but I really don't know. I am, for the most part, winging this novelist thing. I only know what I have read. Writers read and writers write. The creative processes that writers experience on their way to being a successful writer are not known to me at this juncture, but I am still out here plugging away, learning more every day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rod,
    I'm Cheryl Pierson and I write historical and contemporary romance novels. I live in Oklahoma City, and nearly all my stories take place in Texas or Oklahoma. Just a little about me--been married for over 30 years to the same guy and I have 2 grown kids, a son 20 and a daughter 23.

    I read your entry above and have skimmed the entries below. You are grappling with what most writers go through--believe me. I teach writing classes here in the Oklahoma City metro area and do freelance editing as well, so I've met a lot of writers. Don't give up, and don't worry. It'll all come out, and you just have to take it as it comes. Be patient with yourself. I wouldn't worry about an agent just yet. I've had two different agents, and I will be thinking long and hard about my third attempt before I make the plunge. I went with a smaller press and did it myself and had better luck that way.

    I started out writing newspaper feature articles and then began to write for Chicken Soup for the Soul and Adams Media anthologies. In case you aren't familiar with Adams Media, they publish Cup of Comfort, Rocking Chair Reader and other stand along anthologies. They also own F+W Communications, who now owns Writers Digest.

    In May, my debut novel, Fire Eyes, was published with a small press, The Wild Rose Press. I also have a short story (stand alone e-pub) to be released by them on Wednesday, and have a contract with them for a contemporary romantic suspense novel to be released next year. I subbed another novel to them that was rejected, but then was picked up by another small press and will be released tomorrow--TIME PLAINS DRIFTER.

    I have been really fortunate in my writing endeavors, although it took me a long time to get to where I am due to the fact that I had kids to raise, family obligations, and work. But if there is any way I can help you, I will be glad to. If you need advice or just need a sounding board, I will be glad to help however I can.

    My e-mail is cheryl@westwindsmedia.com
    My website is: http://www.cherylpierson.com
    My blogs (which are sadly in need of updating right now!) are:
    http://www.cherylpiersonbooks.blogspot.com
    and
    http://www.westwindsromance.blogspot.com
    The first blog (cherylpiersonbooks) is more about writing and tips to help writers--you might find some stuff on there you can use.
    The second one (westwindsromance) is more about historical events/people/times in and around Indian Territory (what is now Oklahoma) and it does have some of the same blog entries (I cheated) as the other one, but not many. So you might find it interesting too. Please contact me and let me know you got this and let me know if I can be of any further help. I do a lot of this in my teaching and working with people individually on a one-on-one basis. This is all freebie--no charge or anything--just want to help you if I can.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I should have proofed it better. I meant "stand ALONE" not "stand ALONG"LOL
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete