Friday, May 8, 2009

Pioneer Speak


What is "normal" speech for a Mormon pioneer in 1860? Certainly not the way I've written the dialogue so far. Now, I can write "normally" being careful not to use things like "her bf wants to keep everything on the dl", or I can do the research necessary to discover and use the normal speech patterns of the day. This is a historical novel...shouldn't I have the speech patterns be historical as well? Just don't know how difficult it will be to have my characters talk "more better".

The reason I bring this up now is because I found a book on line that does just that. It is filled with common words and pronunciations from the day. There are also examples of how to use them in a sentence. Pretty valuable if I decide to go ultra-authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment