Sunday, May 3, 2009

This is not the Beginning of the Work

In the beginning, if I had thought about constructing a blog for this novel, we would be starting the process together. I only recently got the idea that a blog of my activities might be fun for myself to look back on, as well as an interesting place where people who desire insight into the writing process and struggles of a first time novelist may be enlightened and entertained. I have to admit that I also hope people who wander onto this blog might get a taste of what The Grafton Boys is all about, becoming interested enough to be a reader when the novel is published.

Two years of research have been completed. My computer's full. I've had to compress files and put pics on an external drive. Small writing pieces have been created and plugged into the rough draft over those two years, but now the bulk of the research is finished and creative juices will be allowed to flow like the Virgin River flowing through Grafton. I'll get periodic floods of ideas that I'll be unprepared for. I've already forgotten some wonderful ideas that popped into my fuzzy brain and, without the benefit of pen and paper to write them down, have drifted off into whatever part of my brain things drift to. The aforementioned "drifting away" happens too often. Sometimes to reappear, sometimes never to be heard from again.

Rule #1: Carry something to record ideas onto or into.

Logjams will occur. Writer's block. My family must understand that gazing out a window, leaning back in my chair and placing my intertwined fingers behind the back of my head, closing my eyes, breathing deeply, and allowing my body to make one of various possible and potential noises, is part of the creative process. Going fishing, hanging out at the bookstore, and long drives, also allow me to break free from writer's block. In fact, anyway I choose to spend my time I can rationalize into part of the creative writing process. During sleep periods, whenever they might occur, I try to dream of Grafton and the Gibsons. Sometimes I remember something from a dream that makes it into print.

Rule #2: Just because I'm taking a nap, doesn't mean I'm not writing.

I'm constantly building and rebuilding irrigation ditches that channel ideas from the data stream. This information goes here, this info goes there. I have all these files set up with data waiting to find its way into the chronology of the novel. Now's the time when I get to use the diverted data to nourish ideas I've planted on the page. Using whatever color thumb it would take to perform such a task, I give creativity free rein to bring my ancestors and their struggles to life.

Rule #3: I need to give that thumb a color!

No comments:

Post a Comment